All Stories

Rachel- Donor’s Significant other

Saturday, Nov. 16th started like any other day. The sun was shining, but a chill was in the air. I was watching a Christmas movie when Matt came home after helping a friend. Helping is what he did, but never did I expect to find out just how much he was willing to help others!

We had gone and bought the best Christmas tree either one of us had ever had! We set that up in the living room while downstairs in the basement he was setting up his “man cave.” We put the small tree downstairs and had decorated he mantel above the fireplace. He talked about using the fireplace ALL summer! I agreed how cozy it would be! He had purchased firewood while we were out that day.

We pretty much had the day faced. We had a fire going, and were lounging around on the couch when we decided to go upstairs to bed.  Little did I know that this would be the last time we would do this together. We let Fe, our Min Pin, out for the last time that night. We made sure all the Christmas decorations were on and going. He hugged me. He kissed me. I went to the bedroom to change for the night, and that’s when my world stopped. I heard him fall. I ran as quickly as I could to him at the bottom of the stairs. I grabbed his face and said, baby, stay with me. He moved his arm some, but his eyes rolled. I realized my phone was upstairs. I feel I wasted those seconds running to him instead of grabbing my phone to call 911. Then somehow I called his parents from his phone. when we got to the hospital it was too late. they said there was nothing they could do for him. NOTHING!!!

We were in the hospital for several days. I only left to shower. I didn’t want to leave then, but I knew he was slipping away slowly! I had always promised him I’d stick by him till the end! I was going to uphold that promise!

Over the days I heard several people mention organ donation. Another decision his family was facing until someone walked in and said in 2007 Matt chose to be an organ donor!

On Nov. 19th they declared him brain dead. They proceeded with all the blood work and checking of the organs. I stayed every night I possibly could by his side! We said our last goodbye at the end of the honor walk the hospital staff provided to honor his gift.  This was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do! My world stopped turning that day.

They had a team fly in from Wisconsin to recover his heart. The kidneys and liver were donated here in KY. He saved 4 lives that day! FOUR LIVES!!!!! His heart beats strong in this world! I hope to meet the recipients of all the ones who received his organs! A part of him lives in them! We are all so proud of him!